Our religious and spiritual beliefs and practices can be a powerful theme to explore in forum. One way to do so is to invite each member in turn to take about 5 minutes to answer these questions:
- The religious/spiritual background of my family of origin was…
- As an adult, I still believe/practice the following…. I no longer….
- (Optional, if relevant) My spouse’s religious/spiritual background was…. He/she still believes/practices the following…. He/she no longer….
- My (or my family’s) current approach to religion and spirituality is working/is not working for me in the following ways…. And here’s how I feel about that….
After all have shared this background, members are invited to respond and resonate with each other, sharing what moved them, the emotion they felt, and what new memories or experiences came up for them.
At the end, go around the circle and each member shares a new insight, perspective, or question they are taking away from the conversation.
No problem is being solved, but important experiences and feelings are shared, helping all members get to a deeper level of self-awareness on this important topic.
- The conversation can be expanded to include this question: How do your spiritual and/or religious beliefs and practices inform and affect your approach to business and leadership?
- Members may appreciate knowing about this exercise and having the opportunity to prepare in advance.
Thank you to Alex Schad for suggesting the business and leadership dimension of this exercise.