I was recently asked by a new forum member: When we share our monthly updates, are we supposed to just pick one thing or several or one from each category (business, family, personal)? Can you provide any guidance for how to choose?
- Don’t overthink it. Go with what’s deepest, most challenging, what carries the most emotional weight for you, what keeps you up at night (worry/fear) and/or gets you up in the morning (excitement/joy).
- Questions you might ask yourself to help prioritize how to use your limited update time:
- Which of these issues are deepest and most significant for me?
- If I would like to look back three years from now and say my forum has had a life-changing impact because they helped me with an issue, which issue(s) would you choose to share with the forum?
- Other questions that might help you select what to share:
- What is the toughest relationship challenge (personal or professional) that you are facing now?
- What is the toughest leadership challenge you are facing now?
- What is the greatest fear you have now? What key transition is coming up in your life that you are most scared or uncertain about?
- What is going on in your life right now that you have not spoken with anyone about? What are you hiding?
- What are you complaining about, blaming others for, or notice yourself playing the villain, victim, or hero?
- What are you not sharing because you don’t want to seem perfect? (You will feel like you are bragging about your good fortune.
- What are you not sharing because you don’t want to seem imperfect? (You will feel inadequate compared to your forum mates or to others in your life.)
- What is something that you don’t like about yourself that you are working on?
- You might end up focusing on one key issue or several, and they can be drawn from any and all parts of your life (business, family, personal).