A forum member recently said to me his group’s mantra from the beginning has been “Forum is always on, always in person, no one calls in.” In a time of pandemic, social distancing, and restricted travel, that approach may no longer be sustainable.
And yet, we need forum more than ever! Consider following these recommendations developed by my facilitator colleague Vince Corsaro and others:
- Pick the right meeting platform.
- Use the technology well, following established best practices.
- Reinforce security and confidentiality.
- Set norms that support a virtual format.
- Plan a shorter agenda focused on deep, connecting conversations.
- Consider scheduling “virtual coffees” outside of full group meetings to support each other in tough times.
- Get back together face-to-face as soon as you can.
- Create a private social media platform (e.g., Slack, WhatsApp) to support ongoing communication.
- Use shared, community building apps (like those available for Fitbit users) to monitor members’ health and fitness goals.
- Find other creative ways to connect such as a virtual “happy hour” or a designated day to post selfies on the group’s social media stream.
For more details and suggestions on each of these ideas, see Vince’s Google doc.